BDC Continues to Pioneer New Sectors and Unlock Value in Existing Impactful Sectors: Funds P150 Million Sidilega Private Hospital Development, Botswana’s First 100% Botswana-Owned Hospital Group
Botswana Development Corporation is pleased to announce the completion of the Sidilega Private Hospital development. In 2018, BDC commissioned a BWP150 million investment into Sidilega Private Hospital for the construction, purchasing of state-of-the-art equipment and establishment of the facility. Sidilega shareholders have collectively invested BWP80 million into the project. Sidilega is the first 100% Botswana-owned hospital group, led primarily by renowned practicing medical professionals with a wealth of experience in the Botswana health sector.
“The establishment of this hospital is a fundamental milestone achieved because of the macroeconomic benefits for the country including the opening and expansion of supporting industries which are needed to supply the health sector. These include the Alternative Medication Industry, Specialised Hospital Furniture Industry, Medical Instruments Industry, the Medicated Personal Care Product Industry, the Pharmaceutical Industry, and the Waste Management Plants and Equipment Industry, to name a few of the impactful arenas more Batswana will be able to open businesses for,” said the Minister of Investment, Trade and Industry, Honourable Ms. Bogolo Joy Kenewendo. The resulting hospital facility will provide amongst the following benefits for the country:
• Pioneering of the first Botswana based hospital group
• Establishment of a state-of-the-art facility making a 7% contribution to local demand
• Local job creation and skills development (460 jobs at full operation and 200 jobs created during construction of the hospital) with opportunities to enhance Botswana-experienced professionals to be sent on secondment and/or consultative work in other country markets
• Reduction of Government and private-care spending on sending patients outside Botswana for special procedures. Botswana Government currently spends approximately P300 million per annum on referrals to South Africa alone. Sidilega Private Hospital equipment will significantly facilitate opportunities to offer enhanced services needed in the local market such as with cancer treatment and certain organ transplant procedures at full capacity
• Integration of Botswana health sector into the regional and international markets and therefore attraction of foreign business into the country through patient care
• Entrance of SADC market’s 5th private high-care facility, Sidilega also being the 1st Botswana-owned health group (other 4 are South African based providers); and the 3rd private care group with operations in Botswana, significantly promoting our country brand
• Enhancing the attractiveness of Botswana as a place for business and residency and therefore the attraction of foreign investment(s) into the local economy
“The Sidilega Private Hospital project fell right in line with our strategic direction. Our business is strongly hinged on Botswana Government’s agenda to move the country from economic development to economic transformation. We continue to prioritise aligning project ventures to stay focused on delivering significant contributions that prepare the economy to become export-led, in line with Vision 2036,” said BDC Acting Managing Director, Mr. Moatlhodi Lekaukau.
The private hospital is a 110-bed facility equipped with state-of-the-art medical technology. At full capacity, Sidilega Private Hospital will provide primary, secondary and tertiary healthcare services. Other services and facilities will include ambulatory care, diagnostic, and therapeutic care services with a strong focus on preventative care. All key operational staff have been recruited and trained and the hospital is billed to officially open for patient care in November 2019.
“The project forms an integral part of BDC’s vision to finance large-scale and pan-African businesses with high export potential. We believe that Botswana must leverage its partnerships, its resources, skills, and global reputation and ratings to attract business into the country, whilst using business to integrate Botswana into external economies. We are excited to introduce this State-of-the-Art establishment, that promises with certainty to transform and revolutionise the Botswana health sector. I would like to appreciate our new partners, Dr. Menon and his team from Sidilega Group, with whom we have built a strong relationship that will ensure the success of this hospital in the many years to come,” concluded Mr. Lekaukau.